Friday, November 12, 2004

20 random tunes from winamp

To alleviate some boredom I've decided to do one of these 20 random tune things with the meagre collection of mp3's on my work computer:

The White Stripes - Aluminum: Bad American spelling notwithstanding, it's quite a nice little number. Just a crunching riff and someone going 'waaaaaaah' for a couple of minutes. The closest thing the stripes do to album filler I suppose.

Pixies - I've Been Tired: Black Francis telling a story about shocking a wooly hippie type by expressing a fear of sexually transmitted disease from prostitutes. And then Screaming 'I've been tired' a few times. One of the reasons why 'Come on Pilgrim' is ace.

Laeto - Bad Taste Party: Fuck off Laeto, you sound like Guns N Roses, only dull.

I Am Kloot - Morning Rain: One of the Wirral's best kept sectrets, the Kloot were originally bandied about with the 'New Acoustic Movement', despite being a million miles away from the twee stoners who embodied that 'scene'. God knows what most of these lyrics are about, but they sound great, and with fantastic melodies. One of my favourite albums to put on to sing along to in the kitchen.

Buck 65 - Square Three: One quarter of Buck's incredible 'Square' album, this is seventeen minutes of superb hip-hop. This sounds like no other artist you care to think of. His unique take on the world - old fashioned, romantic and quite frankly bizzare - is rapped eloquently over some equally unique beats. I will be sure to post a more detalied rant about how great his music is in the future. This square contains 'Stella', a song about the tragic life of an ordinary girl, which will fail to touch only the most barren of souls.

Minotaur Shock - Local Violin Shop: Yay! Some genius Bristolian electronica, with my two favourite instruments: drums and glockenspiel (apparently played by some sort of mentalist). Also, Minotaur Shock is a cool name, and the tune doesn't have any violins in it. Yeehaa.

Fog - Pneumonia (Coldcut Remix): Plinky-plonky-plink go some violins (being plucked) thumpy-doofy-thump go some drums while some bloke sings something that's more depressing than the music suggests. Has the singular ability to make me sing the line that goes 'I am a venetian blind' for days without knowing why.

The Delgados - I Fought the Angels: The opener from their stunning new album 'Universal Audio'. Shows the band's previous LP 'Hate' up as the self-indulgent misery-fest that it was. One of those songs that restore your faith in music.

Hexstatic - Auto: It's a pretty cool idea - sample some automotive type sounds and craft them into a track. Bit dull in practice though.

Sage Francis - Crack Pipes: Another of the great avant-garde hip-hoppers on the Anticon records label. It's not exactly a party tune, what with it being about addiction and all, but it manages to do the 'hip-hop with a heart' thing witout condescending. I will certainly be cheking out more of his stuff in the future.

The Rapture - Olio: I don't like The Cure. I don't like house music. This sounds like The Cure doing house music. I love it.

At the Drive-In - Rolodex Propaganda: AtD-I's 'Relationship of Command' showed that it was possible to have a major label deal and a big-name producer and still make hardcore punk that you could use to sandblast buildings with. Should have been as big as Nirvana if they hadn't imploded under the pressure. Right before I was supposed to see them in concert too, the buggers.

PJ Harvey - This Mess We're In: Yay, two of the best voices in modern music (Peej herself and Thom Yorke) singing a beautifully melancholy song about a complicated break-up. In New York to make it more romantic.

Jim O'Rourke - Mentalist record producer makes grand statement of a record. The cover has a picture of Jim's head on a baby being fellated by a toy rabit. The album's alrght but this tune is a bit crap.

Snow Parol - Run: You've probably heard The 'Patrol's breakthrough single. It's ace and proves why they deserve to sell a squillion records.

Actually, I cant be arsed to to a whole 20, as its time to go to another (!) bouldering competition. It's all a bit indie-boy and predicatable I know (I do listen to pop music and stuff as well, honest) but hey, why should I apologise for my music taste anyway?




1 comment:

Del said...

You should apologise cos you're a git.

Nice selection of tunes though. A distinct absence of the unique genius that is the 5 headed Girls Aloud monster, but I'm sure you've got their tracks secreted somewhere private for after hours perusal.