Monday, October 02, 2006

A Smile Around the Face

Man, my CDs are in a total mess. I've just been looking for my copy of The Soft Bulletin by the Flaming Lips (one of the greatest albums evereverver), and after a solid 20 minutes looking I'm still no closer to hearing those opening strings (or synths or whatever) of Race for the Prize. I reckon I might have to wait until the invention of the quantum computer before I'll be able to bring order to the realm that my music collection now occupies.

On the bright side, such lengthy searches always unearth a forgotten nugget of brilliance that has sat dormant for years. I found my copy of Four Tet's Glasshead single hiding next to some unsavoury looking compilation CDs. Hooray for me!

If you've never heard Glasshead then you should do your utmost to seek it out NOW. For me personally it was a bit of an epiphany. Back when I was a mere 18 years old I bought it pretty much on a whim and started an unending love affair with off-kilter electronica. I'm desperately trying to hink of how to describe the track but without diagrams, hand-signals and perhaps even dancing I'm not sure I could do it justice. It's over 11 minutes long and has a bit that sounds like someone scratching on giant rubberised turntables whilst riding a pogo stick. And there's trumpets and stuff. Aw fuck it, it's brilliant - JUST GO AND FIND IT NOW.

And to think that more people will buy the new David Hasselhoff single than will have even heard Glasshead. Humankind is surely screwed. If, by the way, you have so much as smirked at the idea that that permed moron should be allowed to invade the nations collective consciousness then you should instantly ram a vinegar-soaked fork through your reproductive organs. There really is no excuse.

2 comments:

Del said...

David, as noone ever calls him, is another symptom of a collective obsession with the whimsical and ironic or, in plain English, total crap. It's shorthand for a bit of a lack of imagination really. I know it's me being a snob, but I rather like being a snob.

I actually had the pleasure of snubbing the David in HMV Oxford Street on Monday lunchtime. He was signing stuff, and they had his single on a constant, nauseating loop. I was most put out, as I could get to the 7 inch racks because of people queueing. I turned my back on him, so I did. Yeah. He'll think twice before doing something like that again. Darntootin'. I always prefered CJ anyway...

Del said...

hey, I just got a free £5000000.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at George at Asda All you have to do to get yours is to sell your soul to the Prince of Darkness for your backtoschool wardrobe.