Thursday, September 02, 2004

Go East





Well, I'm back from Budapest. I sort of planned writing some sort of travelogue type thing about the whole experience, but to be honest I can't be arsed and seeing as I went there for a conference it will be about as interesting as listening to Embrace.

A week of intensive science, sightseeing, schmoozing and meat-eating have left me pretty wiped-out. I was staying in a very posh hotel, with a thermal spa and such things, which was nice, although I have discovered that I sleep badly and have weird dreams in hotels regardless of how posh they are. I am also suspicious that there is a conspiracy of carpenters who, regardless of which country I'm in, wait until I REALLY need some sleep before they start carpenting OUTSIDE MY BEDROOM WINDOW AT 6.30 IN THE MORNING. I wish a pox upon them and hope their stupid wooden creations catch fire, burning their faces off in the process.

Having said which, I met some ace people, ate some nice goulash and gazed slack-jawed at the myriad of attractive Eastern European girls who seem to just walk around looking gorgeous with no concern for my attention span whatsoever.

Another reason why there is no detail in my Hungary story is the fact that when the beer wasnt cheap, it was free. Large chunks of time have been replaced in my memory with the BBC test card and some nice elevator music. Occasionally a soft voice fades in to mention something about technical difficulties.

No comments: