Friday, January 04, 2008

2007 questions

Well, it's that time of year again that everyone reflects on the year that has been, and I grumble that it's no different to any other time of year, blah blah blah. And then join in, because it's fun. So I've stolen one of those Q&A things from my sister's blog to make up for the fact that I have no imagination (cut me some slack, though, I am full of germs at the mo).

1.What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Alpine climbing. I didn't get the bug though.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm too much of a grumpus to make resolutions most of the time but I do have some goals for this year that mainly include doing more rock climbing and maybe learn to swim properly. Oh, and to get the hell out of DullLabHell and train for a proper career.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, and they got afterbirth all over my shoes.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Auntie Leah died, but she'd had a good innings.

5. What countries did you visit?
Went to France for a bit (and Italy for an evening) but mostly explored Scotland even more. I'd almost count the Western Isles as a different country.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More dry rock in the mountains please. And more holiday time to spend there.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I never remember the dates of anything, really but there's a few days that will stay with me forever. Completing the Cuillin traverse on Skye was a very special day, as was climbing Point Five Gully on Ben Nevis in beautiful blue-sky conditions.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not making a mess of the relationship with my girlfriend. Best thing I've ever done.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not passing my driving test. Several times.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Lots of cold/flu malarkey and some tooth-related bother but nothing to moan about.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My mountain bike. Mountain biking has become a big part of my life this year, and no one item that I own provides so much by way of fun and freedom. Worth every penny and more.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Amongst others, Del, Radiohead and my Sis.


13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My work colleagues. I've never met such a bunch of uninspired, lazy and just plain self-obsessed people. I could go on about it for hours but it depresses me too much that people like that exist in such great number.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Bikes, food, council tax, travelling.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Riding my bikes fast over things and music from Iceland.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
CSS - Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? same
c) richer or poorer? same


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Rock climbing

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Driving lessons

20. How did you be spend New Year?
Edinburgh Hogmanay street party. Party was a bit rubbish but I had fun with my friends nontheless

21.Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
My girlfriend. Hooray for Orange's Magic Numbers

22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Yep. Right up to my neck

23. How many one-night stands?
Nil

24. What were your favourite TV programs?
Flight of the Conchords, Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe and The Late Edition. I am a BBC4 whore.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nobody springs to mind

26. What was the best book you read?
To Kill A Mockingbird. It's the first time I've read it since I studied it for GCSE and I actually enjoyed it this time

27. What were your greatest musical discoveries?
Amiina, The Album Leaf, Holy Fuck, The Octopus Project, Dans le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, Efterklang, Malcolm Middleton, The National, Fujiya & Miyagi, CSS, Adjágas.

I listened to a LOT of music this year.

28. What did you want and get?
A mountain bike.

29. What did you want and not get?
A driving license.

30. What were your favourite films of this year?
This Is England and Heima

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went bouldering in Glen Nevis. I'm 27 now.

32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A more comfortable bike saddle. Less rain.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
'Mostly appropriate'

34. What kept you sane?
In no order: Music, my girlfriend and the wild places in Scotland.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
A tie between Lovefoxxxxx from CSS and Elliot from Scrubs.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Too many to mention.

37. Who did you miss?
My girlfriend

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Nobody springs to mind

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007
That no matter how well/badly things are going in your life there's always time for the simple pleasure of pedalling a bicycle.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
Thou shalt not stop liking a band just because they’ve become popular.
Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry.
Thou shalt not judge a book by it’s cover.

2 comments:

Del said...

Was the behaviour mine that merited celebration when I left your flat to go home?

I might well nick this...

Anonymous said...

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not making a mess of the relationship with my girlfriend. Best thing I've ever done.


LOL! There's no accounting for her taste, but she's pretty cool! :)