Thursday, February 09, 2006

Opposition

So it turns out that I didn't know how to ski. Finding that out whilst gently sliding down a snowy alpine vally is probably not too bad, but the discovery came to me whilst carreering down a busy dry-ski slope just outside of Edinburgh. Nothing too damaged apart from my ego. Oh, and my thumb.

So the rest of the evening passed, and I learned how to control the foot-planks a bit more. Lessons were learned. Although obviously not the right ones, as the next day I found - to my surprise - that I had gone climbing.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this wan't good for my thumb, and resulted in it ballooning up to quite a size and going 'Burple' (a cross between blue and purple according to Pimp My Ride). This has resulted in much hilarity this week. Basically, I can't hold a pen properly, or indeed use my right hand for much at all. Yes, even that is off the cards just now.

But if I have learned anything from al of this it's how lucky we humand are to have opposable thumbs. I bet camels have an awful time doing up a button fly, and I defy any walrus to open a bottle of Irn Bru. I would mock the inferior species, but I'm down to their level right now anyway. Have you ever seen a man trying to fix a punctured bike tyre with one hand? It's probably the least graceful thing you'll ever see this side of a manatee trying to tapdance.

Anyway, I ask not for your sympathy, but merely post this as a message for you all - look after your thumbs, kids. You might miss them when they're gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I discovered similar impediments when I almost cut off the end of my thumb and had to have it in a big comedy style bandage for 5 days. Great for hitching though ;)