Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Civil Liberty

Well, I have yet another reason to love this wonderful nation - Scotland now has a ban in place prohibiting smoking in all enclosed public places. I'm jsut back from the pub, and I smell only of my own glorious scent, and not the stale cancerous smell of tobacco. And hooray for that.

It's a bit of a cultural turning point, and here's why:

Imagine you're in a cafe, enjoying whatever continental bread is trendy this week washed down with a wonderful cup of caffeiene juice. You're with a good friend - maybe even a potential love interest - smiling, gesticulating and generally minding your own business. And then along comes little old me. I stand right next to you and do the foulest, stinkiest fart you've ever experienced. A putrid stench so thick with evil it stains your clothes, your hair and even dries out your contact lenses. You'd think I was a bit of a dick, right? I mean what sort of antisocial bastard would do that?

Well, that's just what smoking's like. Except it gives everyone concerned cancer too. And until now it's been socially acceptable for smokers to inflict this on everybody else - even considered cool to flaunt 'no smoking' signs. But now it's actually illegal - you get a fine for it and everything!

So whilst it's almost a shame that it requires government intervention to establish something that should be a matter of common decency, it's by far the most sensible legislation I've seen in my lifetime. And to those who think it's an affront to civil liberties - is it an affront to ban people from letting their dogs shit on the pavement? Of course not.

So here's three cheers to cleaner air, and a big, mighty fuck you to all the smokers. I hope you enjoy standing outside in the pouring rain like the social lepers that you are.

7 comments:

Damien said...

Can't wait for the day when it's something you like to do that's banned. Can we have a big hump-off in that case as well?

Yes, smoking is unhealthy. Yes we're addicted. Most of us are pretty okay about not blowing it into your faces. Even if we disregard the flaws in passive smoking studies for a second, there's no reason to be nasty about a ban.

Stevious said...

*Yawn*

Smoking hasn't been banned outright, just the highly anti-social behaviour of doing it in public enclosed spaces. Even if you don't come up and blast me in the face with smoke it makes my clothes smell and my lungs feel like shit - a price I'm not prepared to pay for somebody else's addiction.

And do you *really* believe that cigarrette smoke is any less carcinogenic if it comes out the front of the cigarette as opposed to the end you're sucking on?

Sorry if my gloating has hurt your feelings, but hey, at least you don't have to wash all your clothers after reading it, eh?

Damien said...

It's less carcinogenic than standing on the main road of a small to medium sized village.

I'm in favour of the ban. What I'm not in favour of is gloating, which quite frankly, comes across as churlish and intolerant.

Again, if it was something that affected you, you would be equally annoyed at any crowing going on.

Stevious said...

Churlish and intolerant? That was kind of the point. I am very much not tolerant of smoking in public places.

Oh, and I'm a bit of a cunt too.

Del said...

Seconded. He is.

Anonymous said...

Yep. He is.

A real cunt for having an opinion and expressing it in an uncensored medium. But then I'm sure that that'll be banned too, so that's OK.

Del said...

Damn right.